WHAT IS ISLAM?
Often we refer to Islam, but that is Islam? This article will attempt to clarify this word.
What is Islam
The Quran is the last revealed word of Allah and the basic source of Islamic teachings and laws. The Quran deals with the basis of creeds, morality, history of humanity, worship, knowledge, wisdom, God-man relationship, and human relationship in all aspects. Comprehensive teaching on which, can be built sound systems of social justice, economics, POLITICS, legislation, JURISPRUDENCE, LAW and INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, are important contents of the Quran. Hadith, the teachings, sayings and actions of Prophet Mohammed (PBUT), meticulously reported and collected by his devoted companions. Explained and elaborated the Quranic verses.
Authors comments are Bold and or Italics
THE FUNDAMENTAL ARTICLES OF FAITH IN ISLAM
The true faithful Muslim believes in the following Principal articles of faith:-
- He believes in One God ‘Allah’, Supreme and Eternal, Infinite and Mighty, Merciful and Compassionate, Creator and Provider. (What most people do not realise is that this amounts to “accepting only Allah as the only god to be worshipped an no other, not only for Muslims but for all peoples. This condemns all other religions and their gods. This is what separates Islamic ideology from all others. It defines, “Us and Them.” Qur’an 59:22 “Allah is He, no other Ilah (God) may be worshipped; Who knows both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. He is Allah, Whom there is no other Ilah (God); the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Security, the Guardian of Faith, the Majestic, the Irresistible, the Superb, the Compeller: Glory to Allah! He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colors). To Him belong the Best Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth declares His Praises and Glory: and He is the Mighty, the Wise.”)
- He believes in all Messengers of Allah without any discrimination among them. Every known nation had a warner or Messenger from God. They were chosen by God to teach mankind and deliver His divine message. The Quran mentions the name of twenty five of them. Among them Mohammad stands as the last Messenger and the crowning glory of the foundation of Prophethood. (This precludes any other prophet after the Prophet Muhammad as false prophets. Muhammad is the Seal of the Prophets of Allah.)
- Muslin believes in all scriptures and revelations of Allah. They were the guiding light which the Messengers received to show their respected peoples the Right Path of Allah. In the Quran a special reference is made to the books of Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus. But long before the revelations has been lost or corrupted. The only authentic and complete book of God in existence in the Quran. (This places the Quran as the only authentic word of Allah as revelations in the Bible are corrupted and unacceptable.)
- The true Muslim believes in the Angels of Allah. They are purely spiritual and splendid beings whose nature requires on food, drink or sleep. They spend their days and nights in the worship of Allah. (Another Myth borrowed from the Bible.)
- Muslim believes in the last Day of Judgement. This world will come to an end someday, and the dead will rise to stand for their final and fair trial. People with good records will be generously, rewarded and warmly welcomed to the Heaven of Allah, and those with bad records will be punished and cast into Hell. (This Day of Judgement is borrowed from the Bible.)
- Muslim believes in the timeless knowledge of Allah and His power to plan and execute His plans and nothing could happen in His Kingdom against His will. His knowledge and power are in action at all times and command over His creation. He is wise and merciful, and whatever He does must have a meaningful purpose. If this is established in our mind and hearts, we should accept with good faith all that He does, although we may fail to under stand it fully, or think it is bad. (There have been many uncorroborated statements in the Qur’an concerning creativity that has been scientifically disproved. It is evident that the Qur’an was made up by Arabs in the 7th century without the knowledge of the science of cosmology that we possess today. Most Qur’anic claims of creativity cannot be substantiated.)
THE FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM
Faith without actions arid practice is a dead end, as far as Islam is concerned. Faith by nature is very sensitive and can be most effective. When it is not out of practice or out of use, it quickly loses its liveliness and motivation power.
There are five pillars of Islam:
- The declaration of faith: To bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, and that Mohammad (PBUH) is His Messenger to all human beings till the Day of Judgment. The Prophethood of Mohammad obliges the Muslims to follow, His exemplary life as a model.
- Prayers: Daily, prayers are offered five times a day as a duty towards Allah. They strengthen and enliven the belief in Allah and inspire man to a higher morality. They purify the heart and prevent temptation towards wrong – doings and evil.
- Fasting the month of Ramadan. The Muslims during the month of Ramadan not only abstain from food, drink and sexual intercourse from dawn to sunset but also sincerity and devotion. It develops a sound social conscience, patience, unselfishness and will – Power.
- Zakkah: The literal and simple meaning of Zakkah is purity. The technical meaning of this word designates the annual amount in kind or coin which a Muslim with means must distribute among the rightful beneficiaries. But the religious and spiritual significance of Zakkah is much deeper and more lively. So it has humanitarian and sociopolitical values.
- Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah): It is to be performed once in a lifetime, if one can afford it financially and physically.